CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, February 8, 2008

Eggplant Parmesan



This isn't the best picture of Easton I have ever taken, but it is beautiful to me! This is Easton eating Eggplant Parmesan. I am in SHOCK that he will even eat it. It has eggplant, tomatoes, cheese, basil, all things I would NEVER think he would eat. It's delicious. Nathan doesn't like it, but I might have to make it during busy season since the kid likes it! It's a little time consuming, but worth it. And not low fat! Here it is:

Eggplant Parmesan
2 lbs (about 2 large) eggplants
Kosher salt
3 cups of your favorite spaghetti sauce, homemade or in the jar
Olive oil
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
4 large eggs, beaten
grated mozzarella cheese
1 cup grated high quality Parmesan cheese
1 packed cup fresh basil leaves, torn into smaller pieces

IMPORTANT: Cut eggplants lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices. Arrange one layer in the bottom of a large colander and sprinkle evenly and generously with salt. Repeat with remaining eggplant, salting, until all eggplant is in the colander. Weigh down the slices with a couple of plates and let drain for 2 hours. The purpose of this step is to have the eggplant release some of its moisture before cooking.

When eggplant has drained, press down on it to remove excess water, and lay the slices out on paper towels to remove all the moisture.

In a wide, shallow bowl, combine flour and breadcrumbs. Mix well. Pour beaten eggs into another wide shallow bowl. Place a large, deep skillet over medium heat, and pour in a a half inch of olive oil. When oil is shimmering, dredge the eggplant slices first in the flour mixture, then in the beaten egg. Working in batches, slide coated eggplant into hot oil and fry until golden brown on both sides, turning once. Drain on paper towels.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. In the bottom of a 9x13 inch glass baking dish, spread 1 cup of tomato sauce. Top with one third of the eggplant slices. Top eggplant with a layer of shredded cheese. Sprinkle with one third of the Parmesan and half of the basil leaves.

Make a second layer of eggplant slices, topped by 1 cup of sauce, remaining mozzarella, half the remaining Parmesan, and all of the remaining basil. Add remaining eggplant, and top with the remaining tomato sauce and Parmesan.

Bake until cheese has melted and the top is slightly brown, about 30 minutes. Allow to rest at room temperature for about 10 minutes before serving.



Serves 8.

6 comments:

Ravid

Wow - you're brave. I haven't even had the guts to try eggplant. I watched some of the Rachael Ray show yesterday and she made "Eggplant steaks." Interesting idea. It probably doesn't resemble the actual taste of beef enough for me to cook it for Dave even if I had the guts to try it. Good for you - fun that Easton likes it!

Alyse

Yum...that looks really good!

Matt and Monae Curtis

I love eggplant parm.... such a good recipe. I will be sure to try yours!

sara cardon

Easton looks SO big, first of all. Don't they ever stop growing?? I can't keep up. Second, that does sound like a really good recipe, I already copied it for me. Isn't it funny what they will and won't eat? Lucy won't touch PBJs, but last night she scarfed down this sweet and sour pork with green peppers and carrots that I thought she'd never touch. Go fig.

sara cardon

PS YEA FOR THE RECIPE OF THE WEEK!!! That's so great. I will love looking at your recipes-- you're a wealth of good cooking knowledge!!

lacieinthesky

That looks delicious! I tried a recipe for eggplant parmesan awhile ago and it was yummy, I'll have to see how I like this one!