CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, November 15, 2010

who knew cleaning a toilet would be so fun?


So I was talking to a friend about our problems with Easton and she suggested a sticker chart since that is what she is using for her two boys right now. I am not always a fan of sticker charts but I'm kind of desperate so I went to work on one. Here it is:


And its working.

He has 13 responsibilities listed on the chart. Not all of them can be completed every day, but he only needs to complete 9 to get a big sticker for the day. Once he gets 4 big stickers, he gets a marble. Marbles are like money in a sense. One marble will get him a pack of skittles (his FAVORITE), two marbles will get him 2 toys at the dollar store or a mini icecream date with mom or dad, 3 marbles gets him a $10 toy, 4 marbles gets him a $15 toy. We're kinda banking on the fact that he won't be able to wait, although as you can see, he has 5 stickers. I asked him today if he wanted to get skittles with his marble or save it to get something else. He wants to save it so he can buy the train "Stanley". I actually am glad he wants to wait, because I think teaching a child the value of waiting is priceless, but yikes... we'll probably fizzle out the sticker chart around Christmas time because we are traveling so much and get it out again after the baby comes. (i'm sure it will be another adjustment for him)

So anyway, as you can see the last line says "Clean a toilet". Well I kinda put it on there in case he was having a hard day and still wanted that 9th sticker and so we could just clean a toilet real fast. I usually save bathroom cleaning for when he's at preschool. Well this kid LOVED helping me. It was crazy! He couldn't wait to clean all 3 bathrooms. Sweet! So I gave him 3 stickers for doing such an awesome job.

Oh and yesterday was our primary program. Nathan and I thought for SURE he wouldn't go up there. At the practices he'd just be his usual self. Rolling around on the floor. Collapsing with his hands over his ears, making weird screaming sounds. I know, it sounds like he has a serious problem. BUT with the help of the sticker chart AND a promise of skittles from his Aunt Shauna he did GREAT. I couldn't believe it! I got all teary eyed when he stood up there singing along with all 80 kids in the primary...okay maybe there's not that many but there are like 34 sunbeams (kids his age). But then he started hiding behind other teachers and kids because he "didn't want us to see him sing". But whatever. He went up there. He was somewhat reverent. And he got his skittles.

8 comments:

Tracy

I'm terrible at being consistent with those sticker charts. I know I need to do them though. UGH. I'm glad its working for Easton. Its amazing how much bribery works with kids.

Mikaela

Glad the chart is helping!! Every time I clean anything I have to get Shad a rag (a clean one) and a water bottle to carry around and pretend he is cleaning, otherwise he steals the cleaner and the towels hanging from the fridge and oven. Hopefully they still like cleaning toilets when they are sixteen!

JD Seibel

yay charts! reminds me of the olden days :) I love it when the boys want to help clean! it's so cute!

Camille

That sounds great Em! Glad to hear things are going a little better. My kids fight over the toilet scrubber because they love cleaning the toilet so much - too funny!

Sounds nice cuddling with your boys in the morning!

Suzanna

We've had great success with charts, too, but then we always fizzle off of them and we're back to the same old routine. I'm anxious to see how he does through Christmas with this for you guys. Your chart looks alot more fun than anything I've ever done! Good luck! (Oh, and no, it didn't sound weird that Easton had his hands over his ears, making weird screaming sounds about the Primary Program. Abby had such issues with it, too! She was always plugging her ears and when it came time to sing, she outright refused to do anything. Sounds like we might be going through some similar things... typical four-year-olds?!)

Emily Judd

suey I sure hope its typical 4 year olds! :) I'm always glad to know i'm not the only one struggling!

Lynnette

I love the chart. Can't wait to see you this weekend.

Raree (RAH-ree)

Yea! If Dietrich ever gets unmanageable I am so going to use this. I'm not really into sticker charts either, but when things get tough you've got to try ANYTHING! :)