CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Tomato Bisque

I have had this recipe in my recipe binder for FOREVER. I finally made it. When it was 85 degrees outside. I love tomato soup and I spend a lot of money on the good kind, and always talked about making it but never did. This was my first attempt and I am in love. This is no campbell's tomato soup. Delicious.

Tomato Bisque

1/2 c. butter
1 large onion
2 large carrots
3 stalks celery
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. salt
6 T. flour
8 cups of stewed tomatoes (2 28-oz cans)
2 c. chicken broth
1 bunch thyme
1 bunch basil
2 c. cream or milk

In a large pot, saute butter, chopped onions, carrots, and celery until onions become translucent, about 8 minutes. Add garlic salt, salt, flour, mix well and continue to stir over heat for about 3 more minutes. Slowly add chicken stock. Add tomatoes, basil, and the whole bunch of thyme, stir the bottom of the pan well and cook for about 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Whisk in 2 cups of milk or cream and mix thoroughly. Cook another 5 minutes on low. Remove any stems from the thyme. With an immersion blender, or in small batches in a food processor, mix until ingredients are fully blended

4 comments:

Marcy

Ooh, this sounds so good! I'll try it. Have you ever tried the roasted vegetable soup I posted a while ago on my blog? SO good---and looks similar though mine calls for leeks. I'm a sucker for good tomato soup, too! I guess I'll plan to make it a lot come this winter in Utah, eh? brrrr :)

Anonymous

oh wow! emily this is amazing! I love it!

RWSeibel

Yum! Will you make it for us when you visit this month?

Love,
Dad

Jessie

I need to remember to make this. I've got tons of canned stewed tomatoes that I need to use! Looks delicious!