CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A few recipes

My friend let me borrow her cast iron dutch oven for a week along with a recipe book. I tried two recipes and I instantly fell in love. And I must must have this one day for my kitchen.

Too bad its "only" $200. I'm sure there are cheaper varieties out there. I really need to get one. The cook book was called "Glorious One Pot Meals" by Elizabeth Yarnell. They were all vegetable heavy and very good for you. And from the two I tried, delicious!

I just wanted to write them down and if any of you are lucky enough to own something like this, then you should try it! I think a regular dutch oven would work too... oh and I lined the pot with tin foil because i don't like scrubbing pots.

Chicken Satay 
*this was by far my favorite. it was like the thai peanut saute that I make but WAY healthier (like no noodles healthier!). I used brown rice instead of white and it didn't cook so I didn't even use the rice. I didn't miss it, and the veggies and peanut sauce were amazing and the chicken was absolutely perfect.

canola oil spray or sesame oil
1 scallion, sliced into thin rings
2 T. peanut butter
2 T. soy sauce
1 T. brown sugar
1 T. grated ginger or 1/4 tsp. ground
1 or 2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 c. broth
1 c. rice (white)
1/2 to 3/4 pound chicken
1/4 head red cabbage, shredded
about 2 c. frozen or fresh pea pods


preheat oven to 450.  coat inside and lid of a cast iron dutch oven or line with tin foil!

In a small bowl, whisk the scallion, peanut butter, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, and 2 T. broth. Whisk until sugar is dissolved and peanut butter is emulsified.

Rinse the rice in a strainer under cold water until the water runs clear. Tip the rice into the pot. Add the remainig broth and 1/4 c. water and stir to make an even layer.

Add the chicken and drizzle with one third of the peanut sauce.

Arrange cabbage on top and pour half of remaining sauce on it.

Add the snow peas in another layer and pour the rest of the sauce over all.

Cover and bake 45 minutes, or until 3 m inutes after the aroma of a fully cooked meal escapes the oven. Serve immediately.



HEARTY POLENTA AND SAUSAGE
 
*this was yummy too except we made it with half spicy sausage and half mild. I wish we would have used all mild. the spicy was SO overpowering, and we love spice. But it was SO yummy!

olive oil
1/2 c. dry polenta
1 1/2 c. broth
4-8 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. dried basil
2 or 3 mild sausages
4-8 mushrooms, sliced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, sliced
1 carrot, sliced
sea salt and pepper
one 10 oz. package of spinach
3 T. grated parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350

Spray the inside and lid of cast iron dutch oven

pour the polenta in the bottom of the pot and add the liquid. Stir to smooth the grains into an even layer, then sprinkle a large pinch of the garlic and basil.

Add the sausages, followed by the mushrooms, bell pepper, and carrot.

Sprinkle another large pinch of garlic and basil and season lightly with salt and pepper

Add the spinach and rest of the garlic and basil.

Cover and bake for 45 minutes or until 3 minutes after the aroma of a fully cooked meal escapes the oven. Serve immediately with parmesan cheese

0 comments: