CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, March 15, 2012

BUNCO

Last night it was my turn to host bunco. It was my first time ever and I wanted to have good food. No problem! I had 16 people to cook for. I planned out my menu, thinking it would be easy. It turned out well I think, but easy? NO WAY. I spent the night before cooking and then what felt like all day cooking before. And then I couldn't get into the clubhouse (because thats where I was hosting it) and got behind. Thanks to an amazingly kind friend who helped me set the entire thing up by herself while I was cooking some last minute things, I was able to pull through in the nick of time. It was exhausting but I don't have to do it for another 16 months. Sweet. I may just serve cereal :) And for any of the judgy judgers out there...we do our bunco the non gambling way and it has been an excellent way for everyone to get to know their neighbors. Love it.

So the reason why I'm even posting this is because I loved the recipes and wanted to share! It was an Olive Garden night with soup, salad, and bread sticks. Oh my. I love Pinterest.

ZUPPA TOSCANA

  • 1 lb italian sausage (i used chicken sausage)
  • 2 large russet baking potatoes, sliced in half, and then in 1/4 inch slices
  • 1 large onion chopped
  • ¼ cup crumbled bacon
  • 2 garlic cloves,  minced
  • 2 cups chopped kale
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream 

Directions:

  1. Chop or slice uncooked sausage into small pieces.
  2. Brown sausage in your soup pot.
  3. Add chicken broth and water to pot and stir.
  4. Place onions, potatoes, and garlic in pot.
  5. Cook on medium heat until potatoes are done.
  6. Add sausage and bacon.
  7. Salt and pepper to taste.
  8. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
  9. Turn to low heat.
  10. Add kale and cream.
  11. Heat through and serve.

    *i actually cooked the bacon, then used the grease to fry up the onions. So yummy!


SALAD DRESSING

  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon dried Italian spices
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • 2 envelopes Good Seasons Italian Dressing, prepared per directions on envelope with white distilled vinegar
  1. Combine all ingredients in a blender on high until combined, about 30 seconds.
  2. Pour into small bowl and cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
  3. Stir before serving.
  4. **Don’t forget, add your 2 prepared recipes of Italian Dressing from the envelopes (I used Good Seasonings Brand) to this.  Yes,yes, it makes a ton of dressing.  Put it in the fridge, you’ll drink it later.
*I also made my own croutons. Never done it before and I couldn't believe how delicious they were!


BREADSTICKS HERE

they are so good and easy. I'm making more tonight to go with leftovers! Dessert was this that I posted a few years ago. Didn't turn out as good as I was hoping because the chocolate filling was too stiff but it was good still!

And I made these brownies a few days ago for Sunday dinner. I made two different ones and these were the favorite. So good. They are my new favorite recipe!

Seriously though, make the soup. Its the bomb.


5 comments:

Alyse

Yum!! All of those recipes look amazing. And...I Love how you said judgy judgers- haha! =)

Alyse

Hello again...so I saw the pictures of your cute room- and I was wondering what store you got those frames at? I totally want my little brother to pick me up some!! =)

sara cardon

That soup sounds to die for!! YUM! We used to do Bunco in Philly with all the dental school wives and we totally did a $$ pot and it got shut down by the bishopric. I was so sad. Maybe we should have tried it without the moola.:)

Camille

I have the brownie recipe you posted in the oven right now. I used dark cocoa powder and dark chocolate chips instead though. I hope they turn out as yummy as they sound. I will let you know!

Raree (RAH-ree)

I have a "healthified" zuppa toscana recipe that I love. It calls for italian turkey sausage (but I don't), but it also calls for white beans and using half and half instead of cream. It really tastes every bit as good as the original - win! Sounds like it was super fun and super yummy. Wish I were your neighbor. :D I'll just have to settle for running a marathon with you. haha