CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, August 16, 2013

What a week

It has been quite the week here. I am so glad that it is over and everyone is home. While I think most everyone who reads this blog knows everything that went on I want to document it for my records!

It started on Monday morning at 4 AM. Mason woke up screaming which has happened before but this seemed like he was in pain. He said his bum hurt but I could not see any indication of a rash. I instantly thought it might be a urinary tract infection. I gave him tylenol and everyone got some more sleep. When he woke up the next morning he was still complaining and walking like he just got off a horse. He started to get really lethargic and didn't eat anything which isn't like him. 



I rarely take my kids to the doctor, but thankfully because I thought it was a UTI, I called right when they opened and got him in ASAP. He progressively got more and more sick. Within hours!! At the doctor it was clear that it wasn't a UTI, but that it was his abdomen that was causing him excruciating pain. We went to go get an ultrasound. I had Max and Lincoln was at Sam's house but it was still kind of hard. At the end of the ultrasound Nathan left work and met us at the hospital. I was so grateful!

The whole day he loved having his arms tickled. It helped soothe him. 


From there they decided we needed to do a CT scan because they couldn't really see the appendix and were concerned about rupture. 


Waiting to get an IV for the CT scan. Soooo grateful that Nathan could be there. What if he had been out of town?!?

They decided that it was his appendix And he needed to go get surgery up at primary children's. I think this was at about 2 pm. So we went up there and waited in the ER. I hated seeing my baby in so much pain. I was mad it wasn't going faster! Although really I think the timing was fine. Just felt like an eternity. 


Thankfully Max was an angel


The doctors we saw were all really surprised by the timeline of everything. Usually with appendicitis, they show symptoms for a long time but its not obvious what it is until it bursts. Mason was just hours! So after he came out of surgery everything made more sense. By the way, it was hard for me to watch Mason be wheeled away for surgery. I don't want to do that again. 

The surgeon came out and drew us this picture. 


Mason had an infected urachal cyst. It has something to do with when he was forming in utero and the urachus didn't close off all the way at the belly button leaving a hole so that things could get infected. Or something. :) It is rare! They pulled out the cyst through his belly button and squirted him out with an expensive squirt gun and took out his appendix for kicks because they were in there. (They asked us first!)

We got to go see him in recovery at about 8 pm and as he came to, the first thing he whined for was the iPad. 


I was so glad that he was ok! Nathan stayed with him the whole time he was in the hospital which ended up being 3 long  nights. Tuesday was the worst day. He was in so much pain and only wanted daddy. I came up for each day but went home so I could put the kids to bed and get them off to school or friends in the morning. 

He was particularly attached to Max. And wanted him to lay in his bed with him a few times. It was so sweet. 


Kisses


And smiles :)

Wednesday was hard because he kept blowing out (diarrhea)  and wasn't interested in eating or drinking. But he was getting stir crazy and went on a few walks. It is an amazing hospital that had tons of toys and books and movies and even a play room. They know what they are doing. But I hated it there. Particularly because I knew every patient was a child and they were all sick or in a similar situation as us. I never want to have to go there again. 

He watched Toy Story 2 over and over and over again. Poor Nathan :)

By the end of Wednesday he had caught on to food and also the fact that we always ordered him stuff from this menu. He wanted eggs, applesauce, and yogurt and kept referring back to this menu :)


Yesterday was such a great day! I loved being all together again under the same roof. And Mason is feeling much much better. And is back to his old ways. Yikes :) 



Even though this was not fun, especially with a newborn to boot, I continuously counted my blessings! We don't have a critically ill or chronically ill child. And we have absolutely amazing friends that helped us out immensely (one even came to our house to put the others to bed and cleaned the house) and a wonderful family supporting us and praying for us. 

Now--I want the rest of my summer to be normal!!!!!!



2 comments:

sara cardon

Holy cow!!! How scary!! I'm so sorry for your ordeal-- especially with Max in tow, but it sounds like all's well that ends well. Poor Mason! Appendicitis is sooo scary. Whitney almost died from it when she was like 12. You deserve a restful few weeks!:)

Sarah

Oh my! I feel like a terrible friend! I never knew any of this happened..... I'm so sorry! But glad he is ok